If you saw my video on my review of Taco Mahal, you will see that I dubbed myself the taco queen. Why? Well because I LOVE TACOS! I have taco night every week at my house. I’ve made regular mexican tacos and even tex mex tacos. I have made korean tacos when I lived in NJ. It is safe to say, I am not afraid to try new things. There will be several other posts for tacos on this blog simply because I am always inspired and now I have an audience to share it with.
My latest inspiration comes from a dear friend of mine who I call Sexy Ninja Sue. She made a recent post on Facebook saying how she really wanted to try jerk chicken tacos. Ihave never had Jerk Chicken ever. But a few days later a former classmate of mine was about to make some and posted about it on facebook. I sent Latasha(Former classmate’s name) a message to ask her what ingredients was it that she uses to make her Jerk Chicken and lo and behold, this heavenly angel sent me a picture of exactly what I needed in order to make it.
I set out the very next day to buy the ingedients that I didn’t have on hand. I found everything easy and quite affordable too. One of the major changes you will see from the video to the recipe I have down below is the salt and pepper. I did measure that out and when I tasted marinade, I found it too salty. So I ended up using half of the marinade because it was still too salty despite adding the lime juice. The recipe I have down below is the adjusted recipe. You can find the video tutorial for the tacos and the avocado sauce here
Jerk Chicken Tacos
1-2 lbs of Chicken( I used Chicken legs and thighs), diced
3 tablespoons Jerk Seasoning
1 tablespoon Complete Seasoning
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon of Onion Powder
1 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon of Scallions(I had forgotten this when I did it the first time)
3 tablespoons of Lime Juice
2 tablespoons of Canola Oil
2 tablespoons of Jerk BBQ Sauce
Shredded Green and Purple Cabbage(I only used green cabbage)
1 Mexican Blend Cheese
Lime Cilantro Avocado Mayo(See recipe below)
1. Combine the jerk seasoning, complete seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, italian seasoning, scallions, and lime juice in a bowl.
2. Place diced chicken and jerk seasoning marinade in a ziploc bag. Make sure it is evenly combined. Marinate this for 4 hours or overnight. I ended up marinating it overnight for the best results.
3. In a skillet, warm up 2 tablespoons of oil. Add chicken and cook thoroughly.
4. Once chicken is just about fully cooked, add 2 tablespoons of jerk bbq sauce. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the pan.
5. Warm up the tortillas.
6. Chop up the cabbage. You can use both colors to make it look prettier. Green Cabbage alone worked perfectly fine.
7. Dice up the tomato.
8. Warm up the tortillas.
9. Assemble tacos to your liking and don’t forget the delicious sauce!
Lime Avocado and Cilantro Sauce
3 Tablespoons Lime Juice
1/2 Cup of Mayo(I might just try it with plain Greek Yogurt because I think it would taste a lot better)
2 Ripe Avocados
1 tablespoon of White Garlic Sauce (Can be found in ethnic/international aisle)
1 Small Bunch of Cilantro, lightly chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a small food processor or blender.
2. Blend or mix until the sauce is smooth.
3. This particular sauce can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until you are ready to serve. I put mine in a ziploc bag to prevent
The Final Verdict:
These tacos were tasty! I had never had jerk chicken before but that was something my family and I enjoyed. It was spicy, smokey, and sweet but not overpowering on all three. Then the crunchiness of the cabbage and the coolness of the sauce just brought it all together so nicely. I hope you guys enjoy this recipe. If you get to try it, comment down below and let me know how it comes out for you. You can also share your pics. You can even share my page.
Signing off Foodies,
COPYRIGHT © 2017 · Tashalee’s Tasty Travels